Today, 10 years ago around 6 PM I set foot onto US soil, not knowing that I set foot to stay. I arrived with 3 suitcases of which one contained my then desktop computer (excluding the monitor, of course).
The other day it had hit me in the face to make me realize how many sacrifices I have made over this time period. Huge concessions to my life ‘before’. And suddenly I am wondering how balanced the give and take is.
I am talking about major changes in life style :
- leaving my home (country) behind.
- not being able to easily see my extended family.
- stopped smoking after 25 years.
- not living any longer in a city and thus not easily able to socialize.
- not being able to move around easily.
- my mother tongue and loosing my huge (german) vocabulary.
10 years, and for the first time I do not feel like celebrating this day as I usually did in the past.
It is a weird feeling.